Factors Contributing to the Containment of the COVID-19 in Kurdistan Region of Iraq
A highly contagious coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which was first identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019. The virus primarily affects the respiratory system of human beings and results in the symptoms of headache, fever, dry cough, sore throat, shortness of breath and fatigue with abnormal chest computed tomography (CT) scan. In some cases, nasal sputum discharge and diarrhea have been also reported. Up to the 26th of April 2020, more than three million laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been recorded worldwide with more than 220,000 confirmed deaths. In the Kurdistan region of Iraq, the first case of laboratory confirmed COVID-19 was recorded in March 1st, 2020 in Sulaymaniyah province.
2. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506.
3. Guan W, Ni Z, Hu Y, Liang W, Ou C, He J, et al. Clinical characteristics of 2019 novel coronavirus infection in China. MedRxiv. 2020; Preprint.
4. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, Zhu F, Liu X, Zhang J, et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA. 2020;323(11):1061-9.
5. World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation report–103. 2020. [Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200311-sitrep-51-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=1ba62e57_10].
6. Wali ZZ. First cases of coronavirus confirmed in Kurdistan Region. March 1, 2020. [Available from: https://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/01032020].
7. Nalia Radio and Television (NRT). Kurdistan region records first coronavirus cases in sulaimani. March 1, 2020. [Available from: https://www.nrttv.com/En/News.aspx?id=19846&MapID=1].
8. Hussein, NR. Possible Factors Associated with Low Case Fatality Rate of COVID-19 in Kurdistan Region, Iraq. J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci. 2020;24(1):e103393.
9. Kurdistan Regional Government. Report: Coronavirus (COVID-19). May 3, 2020. [Available from: https://gov.krd/coronavirus-en/dashboard/].
10. Liu Y, Gayle AA, Wilder-Smith A, Rocklöv J. The reproductive number of COVID-19 is higher compared to SARS coronavirus. J Travel Med. 2020;27(2):taaa021
11. World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Situation Report-108. May 7, 2020. [Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200507co vid-19-sitrep-108.pdf?sfvrsn=44cc8ed8_2].
12. Forster P, Forster L, Renfrew C, Forster M. Phylogenetic network analysis of SARS-CoV-2 genomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020;117(17):9241-3.
13. Dayal D, Gupta S. Connecting BCG Vaccination and COVID-19: Additional Data. MedRxiv. 2020; Preprint.
14. Zwerling A, Behr MA, Verma A, Brewer TF, Menzies D, Pai M. The BCG World Atlas: a database of global BCG vaccination policies and practices. PLoS Med. 2011;8(3):e1001012.
15. Roberts M. Coronavirus: France's first known case 'was in December'. May 5, 2020. [Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52526554].
This journal be published an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits anyone to copy, redistribute, remix, transmit and adapt the work provided the original work and source is appropriately cited.