Sample Size Calculation Guide - Part 4: How to Calculate the Sample Size for a Diagnostic Test Accuracy Study based on Sensitivity, Specificity, and the Area Under the ROC Curve
In the previous educational articles, we explained how to calculate the sample size for a rate or a single proportion (part 1), for an independent cohort study (part 2), and for an independent case-control study (part 3). In this article, we will explain how to calculate the sample size for a diagnostic test accuracy study based on sensitivity, specificity, or the area under the ROC curve.
2. Fahim NK, Negida A. Sample Size Calculation Guide - Part 2: How to Calculate the Sample Size for an Independent Cohort Study. Adv J Emerg Med. 2019;3(1);e12.
3. Fahim NK, Negida A, Fahim AK. Sample Size Calculation Guide - Part 3: How to Calculate the Sample Size for an Independent Case-control Study. Adv J Emerg Med. 2019;3(2):e20.
4. Safari S, Baratloo A, Elfil M, Negida A. Evidence Based Emergency Medicine; Part 5 Receiver Operating Curve and Area under the Curve., Emerg (Tehran). 2016;4(2):111-3.
5. Baratloo A, Hosseini M, Negida A, Ashal GE. Part 1: Simple Definition and Calculation of Accuracy, Sensitivity and Specificity. Emerg(Tehran). 2015;3(2):48-9.
6. Buderer NM. Statistical methodology: I. Incorporating the prevalence of disease into the sample size calculation for sensitivity and specificity. Acad Emerg Med. 1996;3(9):895-900.
7. Abolfotouh MA, Sallam SA, Mohammed MS, Loutfy AA, Hasab AA. Prevalence of Elevated Blood Pressure and Association with Obesity in Egyptian School Adolescents. Int J Hypertens. 2011;2011: 952537.
8. Domingues RB, Fernandes GBP, de M Leite FBV, Senne C. Performance of lactate in discriminating bacterial meningitis from enteroviral meningitis. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2019;61: e24.
This journal be published an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits anyone to copy, redistribute, remix, transmit and adapt the work provided the original work and source is appropriately cited.