A Case Report of a Huge Mesenteric Cyst in a 5-Year-Old Girl: A Rare and Challenging Finding in Radiological Assessment
Introduction: Mesenteric cysts are rare benign intra-abdominal vesicles with various clinical presentations. They almost located in the mesentery of the small intestine. The selective therapeutic method is complete surgical excision, however more than half need resection and bowel anastomosis. Case presentation: Here, we presented a 5-year-old girl with a huge mesenteric cyst (15×14cm2) mesenteric cyst that was excised surgically., which the diagnosis confirmed by computed tomography scan and managed through surgical excision. Conclusion: Acute abdominal pain may be due to the presence of mesenteric cysts, but it is not always possible to differentiate and diagnose it preoperatively, and this challenge especially exists in the case of bulky masses. it is recommended to choose primary radical, surgical treatment in case of intra-abdominal cystic mass in the pediatric age.
2. Giannos A, Stavrou S, Goumalatsos N, Fragkoulidis G, Chra E, Argiropoulos D, et al. Mesenteric cysts and mesenteric venous thrombosis leading to intestinal necrosis in pregnancy managed with laparotomy: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2017;11(1):184.
3. Paramythiotis D, Bangeas P, Karakatsanis A, Iliadis A, Karayannopoulou G, Michalopoulos A. Ideal treatment strategy for chylous mesenteric cyst: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2018;12(1):317.
4. Marte A, Papparella A, Prezioso M, Cavaiuolo S, Pintozzi L. Mesenteric cyst in 11-year old girl: A technical note. Case report. J Pediatr Surg Case Rep. 2013;1(4):84-6.
5. Mohamed F. Pediatric abdominal chylolymphatic cysts: Sneaky abdominal masqueraders. Turk J Surg. 2018:1-3.
6. Belhassen S, Meriem B, Rachida L, Nahla K, Saida H, Imed K, et al. Mesenteric cyst in infancy: presentation and management. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;26:191.
7. Ferrero L, Guana R, Carbonaro G, Cortese MG, Lonati L, Teruzzi E, et al. Cystic intra-abdominal masses in children. Pediatr Rep. 2017;9(3):7284.
8. Luo CC, Huang CS, Chao HC, Chu SM, Hsueh C. Intra-abdominal cystic lymphangiomas in infancy and childhood. Chang Gung Med J. 2004;27(7):509-14.
9. Hebra A, Brown MF, McGeehin KM, Ross AJ, 3rd. Mesenteric, omental, and retroperitoneal cysts in children: a clinical study of 22 cases. South Med J. 1993;86(2):173-6.
10. Paradies G, Zullino F, Orofino A, Leggio S. Rare extragonadal teratomas in children: complete tumor excision as a reliable and essential procedure for significant survival. Clinical experience and review of the literature. Ann Ital Chir. 2014;85(1):56-68.
11. Yoon JW, Choi DY, Oh YK, Lee SH, Gang DB, Yu ST. A Case of Mesenteric Cyst in a 4-Year-Old Child with Acute Abdominal Pain. Pediatr Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr. 2017;20(4):268-72.
12. Mullaney TG, D'Souza B. Mesenteric cyst: an uncommon cause of acute abdomen. ANZ J Surg. 2019;89(3):E98-e9.
13. Geramizadeh B. Isolated Peritoneal, Mesenteric, and Omental Hydatid Cyst: A Clinicopathologic Narrative Review. Iran J Med Sci. 2017;42(6):517-23.
14. Delvincourt M, Godfrey EM, Duckworth A, Carroll NR. A case of lymphangioma-like mesenteric cysts diagnosed as adenocarcinoma of possible pancreatic origin on EUS-FNA. Gastrointest Endosc. 2018;87(5):1359-61.
15. de la Plaza Llamas R, Ramia Angel JM, Garcia Amador C, Lopez Marcano AJ. Chylous Mesenteric Cyst. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018;22(5):921-2.
16. Yamabuki T, Suzuoki M, Murakami T, Hirano S. Laparoscopic Resection of a Jejunal Mesenteric Pseudocyst. Case Rep Gastroenterol.. 2017;11(3):526-30.
17. Leung BC, Sankey R, Fronza M, Maatouk M. Conservative approach to the acute management of a large mesenteric cyst. World J Clin Cases. 2017;5(9):360-3.
18. Razi K, Al-Asaad O, Milind R. Case report: elective removal of a large mesenteric cyst-our approach. J Surg Case Rep. 2017;2017(3):rjx063.
19. Souftas VD, Kosmidou M, Karanikas M, Souftas D, Menexes G, Prassopoulos P. Symptomatic abdominal simple cysts: is percutaneous sclerotherapy with hypertonic saline and bleomycin a treatment option? Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2015;2015:489363.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.