Chronic Back Pain Diagnosed as Giant Osteoid Osteoma of the Thoracic Vertebra: A Case Report
Introduction: Diagnosing an osteoid osteoma as a benign tumor can be challenging owing to its different presentation patterns, ambiguous radiological findings and unusual sites of involvement. The present case report involves a 30-year-old female patient with a large osteoid osteoma of the thoracic vertebrae as an uncommon site of its presentation. Case Presentation: The patient presented with a one-year history of progressive right-sided upper back and interscapular pains. She was identified as a candidate for surgery using the whole body bone scan and a multiple detector computed tomography (MDCT) scan. A large 25-mm osteoid osteoma of the lamina of the third thoracic vertebra (T3) was also diagnosed through histopathology. Conclusion: As a potential cause of persistent back pain in young adults, an osteoid osteoma may be easily missed by routine radiographs. The CT scan is an effective tool in the investigation of the size and location of this tumor. Surgical excision can also be used for treating spinal lesions.
2. Vlaic J, Lamot L, Simunic S, Harjacek M, Bojic D. Unusual localization and presentation of osteoid osteoma mimicking juvenile spondyloarthritis: a case report. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20:17.
3. Faddoul J, Faddoul Y, Kobaiter-Maarrawi S, Moussa R, Rizk T, Nohra G, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of spinal osteoid osteoma: a prospective study. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;26(3):313-8.
4. Kadhim M, Binitie O, O'Toole P, Grigoriou E, De Mattos C, Dormans J. Surgical resection of osteoid osteoma and osteoblastoma of the spine. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2017;26(4):362-9.
5. Jaffe HL. "osteoid-osteoma": A benign osteoblastic tumor composed of osteoid and atypical bone. Arch Surg. 1935;31(5):709-28.
6. Chai JW, Hong SH, Choi JY, Koh YH, Lee JW, Choi JA, et al. Radiologic diagnosis of osteoid osteoma: from simple to challenging findings. Radiographics. 2010;30(3):737-49.
7. Etemadifar MR, Hadi A. Clinical Findings and Results of Surgical Resection in 19 Cases of Spinal Osteoid Osteoma. Asian Spine J. 2015;9(3):386-93.
8. Yamamoto K, Asazuma T, Tsuchihara T, Motosuneya T, Tsuji T, Fujikawa K, et al. Diagnostic efficacy of thin slice CT in osteoid osteoma of the thoracic spine: report of two cases. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005;18(2):182-4.
9. Rassi J, Lampl B, Wajid H, Ilaslan H, Park E. Osteoid Osteoma: Radiologic Diagnosis and Treatment. Contemp Diagn Radiol. 2018;41(12):1-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.