Extending Survival in a Patient with Extensive Stage of Small Cell Lung Cancer Presenting with Superior Vena Cava Syndrome as an Initial Symptom: A Case Study
Introduction: Superior vena cava (SVC) syndrome which is defined as the obstruction of blood flow through the SVC vein, often affecting patients with malignancy especially small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and is potentially an emergent condition needing prompt management. It is an ominous sign with poor prognosis and a mean of 8-10 months survival rate. Case presentation: Here we present a middle-aged man who presented with fascial swelling and dyspnea with final diagnosis of advanced SCLC. Combination of multiple chemotherapy regimen, prophylactic brain radiation with administration of anticoagulant drugs were performed for him leading toward extension of his survival to 28 months. Conclusion: These therapeutic approaches may lead to extending the survival in patients with SVC syndrome and SCLC.
2. Bajwa R, Cheema A, Khan T, Lerner W, Bauer T, Frasco F. A Drooling Man: A Case of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018;197:A4121.
3. Danjoux C, Tsao M, Barnes E, Chow E. Superior vena cava syndrome. J Pain Manag. 2015;8(4):283-7.
4. Zimmerman S, Davis M. Rapid Fire: Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2018;36(3):577-84.
5. Sfyroeras G, Geroulakos G. Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. Vascular Surgery: Springer; 2018.
6. Dimakakos E, Micha F, Charpidou A, Gkiozos I, Tsagkouli S, Kiagia M, et al. Superior vena cava syndrome in lung cancer patients: How to prevent its venous thromboembolism complications. Thromb Res. 2018;164:S237.
7. Noaparast M, Zebardast J, Namvari A. The Patency Rate of Endovascular Procedure in Patients with Superior Vena Cava Syndrome Caused by Intravenous Catheterization: A Case Series and Longitudinal Study. Adv J Emerg Med. 2020;4(In Press).
8. Rice TW, Rodriguez RM, Light RW. The superior vena cava syndrome: clinical characteristics and evolving etiology. Medicine (Baltimore). 2006;85(1):37-42.
9. Kocak MZ, Aktas G, Erkus E, Atak B, Duman T, Savli H. Superior Vena Cava Syndrome and Multiple Venous Thrombosis in a Patient with B Cell Lymphoma. Althea Med J. 2018;5(1):12-5.
10. Drews RE, Rabkin DJ, Eidt JF, Collins KA. Malignancy-related superior vena cava syndrome. UpToDate, Waltham, MA. 2016.
11. Coutinho AD, Shah M, Lunacsek OE, Eaddy M, Willey JP. Real-world treatment patterns and outcomes of patients with small cell lung cancer progressing after 2 lines of therapy. Lung Cancer. 2019;127:53-8.
12. Alvarado-Luna G, Morales-Espinosa D. Treatment for small cell lung cancer, where are we now?—a review. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2016;5(1):26-38.
13. Reck M, Luft A, Szczesna A, Havel L, Kim SW, Akerley W, et al. Phase III randomized trial of ipilimumab plus etoposide and platinum versus placebo plus etoposide and platinum in extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(31):3740-8.
14. Cook RF, Miller YE, Bunn Jr PA. Small cell lung cancer: etiology, biology, clinical features, staging, and treatment. Curr Probl Cancer. 1993;17(2):69-141.
15. Slotman BJ, van Tinteren H, Praag JO, Knegjens JL, El Sharouni SY, Hatton M, et al. Use of thoracic radiotherapy for extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: a phase 3 randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2015;385(9962):36-42.
16. Palma DA, Warner A, Louie AV, Senan S, Slotman B, Rodrigues GB. Thoracic radiotherapy for extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Clin Lung Cancer. 2016;17(4):239-44.
17. Vanhees S, Paridaens R, Vansteenkiste J. Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone associated with chemotherapy-induced tumour lysis in small-cell lung cancer: case report and literature review. Ann Oncol. 2000;11(8):1061-5.
18. Horino T, Takao T, Yamamoto M, Geshi T, Hashimoto K. Spontaneous remission of small cell lung cancer: a case report and review in the literature. Lung Cancer. 2006;53(2):249-52.
19. Boon E, Vrij A, Nieuwhof C, Van Noord J, Zeppenfeldt E. Small cell lung cancer with paraneoplastic nephrotic syndrome. Eur Respir J. 1994;7(6):1192-3.
20. Jiang S-Y, Zhao J, Wang M-Z, Huo Z, Zhang J, Zhong W, et al. Small-cell lung cancer transformation in patients with pulmonary adenocarcinoma: A case report and review of literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(6):e2752.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.