Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): 10 Questions and Discussion Points for Diabetes and COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is now an international concern. COVID-19 is first reported in Wuhan, China on 31 December 2019 and affects different people in different ways. Evidence suggests that people with underlying disease are at higher risk for more severe disease. People with diabetes are not only more likely than the general population to have COVID-19 but also they are among those high-risk categories that can have serious illness if they get the virus.
2. Singhal T. A review of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19). Indian J Pediatr. 2020;87(4):281-6.
3. Center for disease Control and Prevention. People who are at higher risk for severe illness. Retrieved April 5th. 2020.
4. Seewoodhary J, Oozageer R. Coronavirus and diabetes: an update. Pract Diabetes. 2020;37(2):41-2.
5. Ebrahimpur M, Pejman-Sani M, Alijani N. Necrotizing Fasciitis in a Patient with Diabetes Mellitus. Adv J Emerg Med. 2018;2(3):e37.
6. Fadini G, Morieri M, Longato E, Avogaro A. Prevalence and impact of diabetes among people infected with SARS-CoV-2. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020;43(6):867-9.
7. Huang I, Lim MA, Pranata R. Diabetes mellitus is associated with increased mortality and severity of disease in COVID-19 pneumonia–A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020;14(4):395-403.
8. Hussain A, Bhowmik B, do Vale Moreira NC. COVID-19 and diabetes: Knowledge in progress. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;162:108142.
9. Pal R, Banerjee M. COVID-19 and the endocrine system: exploring the unexplored. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020;43(7):1027-31.
10. Gupta R, Ghosh A, Singh AK, Misra A. Clinical considerations for patients with diabetes in times of COVID-19 epidemic. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020;14(4):365.
11. Ceriello A, Stoian AP, Rizzo M. COVID-19 and diabetes management: What should be considered? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;163:108151.
12. Pareek A, Chandurkar N, Thomas N, Viswanathan V, Deshpande A, Gupta O, et al. Efficacy and safety of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a double blind, randomized comparison with pioglitazone. Curr Med Res Opin. 2014;30(7):1257-66.
13. Bornstein SR, Rubino F, Khunti K, Mingrone G, Hopkins D, Birkenfeld AL, et al. Practical recommendations for the management of diabetes in patients with COVID-19. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020;8(6):546-50.
14. Hill MA, Mantzoros C, Sowers JR. Commentary: COVID-19 in patients with diabetes. Metabolism. 2020;107:154217.
15. Katulanda P, Dissanayake HA, Ranathunga I, Ratnasamy V, Wijewickrama PS, Yogendranathan N, et al. Prevention and management of COVID-19 among patients with diabetes: an appraisal of the literature. Diabetologia. 2020; [Epub ahead of print].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.