A Case Report of Subclavian Aneurysm-Tracheal Fistula Presenting with Massive Hemoptysis; a Diagnostic Dilemma to the Emergency Room Personnel
Introduction: Subclavian aneurysm presenting as massive hemoptysis has never before been reported in the literature. The aim of the current study is therefore to report for the first time subclavian aneurysm-tracheal fistula presenting with massive hemoptysis. Case presentation: A 56-year-old female presented with massive hemoptysis which was aggravated in the last two days. The patient, having a known case of TB, received anti-tuberculosis treatment and was cured. General examination showed pallor. Chest x-ray, computed tomography scan, and bronchoscopy were normal. Subclavian conventional angiography showed a fistula between left proximal subclavian artery aneurysm and upper part of the trachea. After stabilization, the patient underwent operation, ligation of the right proximal subclavian artery, division, and transposition of the subclavian artery to the left brachiocephalic trunk. Conclusion: Subclavian aneurysm-tracheal fistula presenting with massive hemoptysis has been reported for the first time in the literature. It was presented as a diagnostic dilemma to the emergency room personnel.
2. Okuda K, Tanaka J, Okamoto J, Kishi F, Nakagawa J, Hino H, et al. Two cases of cryptogenic life-threatening hemoptysis - identification and management of bleeding point. Acute Med Surg. 2017;4(1):114-8.
3. Flume PA, Mogayzel PJ, Jr., Robinson KA, Rosenblatt RL, Quittell L, Marshall BC. Cystic fibrosis pulmonary guidelines: pulmonary complications: hemoptysis and pneumothorax. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182(3):298-306.
4. Sakr L, Dutau H. Massive hemoptysis: an update on the role of bronchoscopy in diagnosis and management. Respiration. 2010;80(1):38-58.
5. Kochupura PV, Greelish JP. Staged Hybrid Repair of an Intrathoracic Subclavian Artery Aneurysm Associated with a Long Segment Dissection. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;30:306.e1-3.
6. Gaude GS. Hemoptysis in children. Indian Pediatr. 2010;47(3):245-54.
7. Yoo DH, Yoon CJ, Kang SG, Burke CT, Lee JH, Lee CT. Bronchial and nonbronchial systemic artery embolization in patients with major hemoptysis: safety and efficacy of N-butyl cyanoacrylate. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;196(2):W199-204.
8. Woo S, Yoon CJ, Chung JW, Kang SG, Jae HJ, Kim HC, et al. Bronchial artery embolization to control hemoptysis: comparison of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate and polyvinyl alcohol particles. Radiology. 2013;269(2):594-602.
9. Jaldin RG, Bertanha M, Sobreira ML, Braz LG, Freitas CCMd, Yoshida WB, et al. Treatment of an iatrogenic subclavian artery pseudoaneurysm near vertebral artery branch: endovascular approach or open surgery? J Vasc Bras. 2013;12(3):237-42.
10. Maskanakis A, Patelis N, Moris D, Tsilimigras DI, Schizas D, Diakomi M, et al. Stenting of Subclavian Artery True and False Aneurysms: A Systematic Review. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018;47:291-304.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.